Monday 10 December 2012

Let's get this show on the road.

 
Initial introductions aside, I believe that there is no greater way of putting the cat amongst the musical pigeons than by diving headlong into its metaphorical abyss. By doing so, I feel that this first post should scratch beneath the dust filled layers of my record collection, taking you on a rickety rollercoaster ride to where my musical flag is well and truly placed.

When asked to summarise my taste in music, like many I often struggle to conjure up a witty and articulated response, usually resulting in me reeling off like a broken record, a list of bands as long as my arm in the vain attempt to hit the nail on its proverbial head.

With winter being my favourite season and Christmas just a 'works do' away, I feel that this first post should reflect such anticipation and plunge straight into the festive spirit. However, not by gorging on a truck load of mince pies and drinking enough mulled wine it starts to become enjoyable or even acceptable. Instead by compiling a list, but not any other end of year list, this being a list which comprises of my all-time favourite tracks, which even Santa can't refuse!

To most, a list of favourite tracks is as usually bland or as predictable as turkey on Christmas day, but to a faithful few they have the ability to blow the musical cobwebs away and even clear the mist off Zeppelin’s Mountain Hop. At a bare minimum I expect it to take you into the stratosphere and provide an intense volume of ear-gasms to the local nunnery, but I will obviously settle for less.

My Favourite Tracks:

'Spooky' - Dusty Springfield

First up is swinging sixties songstress Dusty Springfield with ‘Spooky’. Although originally recorded as a jazz fusion track by Classics IV, Dusty’s sensual approach to this song was enough to make me, and many others, feel a little haunted inside. As her vocals would often be described as vulnerable by her contemporaries in comparison to the likes of 'Shirley Bassey', Springfield’s simplicity shone throughout ‘Spooky’, alongside the resounding flavour of trumpets noted to be dipping their toes in and out as well as the organ which kept the track dreamy, yet focused.

I have long classed ‘spooky’ as one of my favourites, not necessarily because you are only a stone’s throw away from a Tarantino / Ritchie blockbuster, but because it sounds as fresh as ever, even today.

 


'Sister Morphine' - The Rolling Stones

Lying virtually undetected after rolling off The Stones musical conveyor belt, 'Sister Morphine' was originally recorded in 1969 by Marianne Faithfull whilst she was dating Mick Jagger. After sales plummeted like a lead balloon, Jagger and his gang decided to pick up this blues drenched nugget and release it to the world on their 1971 album Sticky Fingers.

With definitive influences from 'The Velvet Underground' peering through its acoustic under belly as well as within its drug fuelled lyrics, 'Sister Morphine' has not only become one of my favourite Rolling Stones records, but also one of my preferred songs of all time.

Ry Cooder provides initially sparse, yet hauntingly harmonised flashes on the slide guitar, whilst a piano arrangement methodically crashes through the song as it carefully winds its way into an earth shattering crescendo. All the while the poisoned protagonist becomes ever more desperate by crying out for “sweet cousin cocaine”, as the drums begin their steady advance and gallop into the groove, making his meeting with his maker virtually inevitable. This track has got the style as well as the substance that I long for when listening to music.



‘Do I love you (Indeed I do)’ – Frank Wilson
Even the late Frank Wilson underestimated the impact of his 1965 recording, but the song that possessed all the ingredients needed to create a mouth-watering truffle of noise would later go on to become a worshipped institution by many a Northern Soul follower.
‘Do I love you (Indeed I do)’ also seen as the holy grail for the Northern Soul religion, was, and still is, continuously spun in every recognised temple from Melbourne to New York with extensive visits to Wigan and Blackpool on the way. For these statements alone, Frank Wilson’s 1965 classic has become one of my all-time favourite records, leaving me with a grin that only a Cheshire cat could recognise.

Its infectious ability to spark spontaneous stampedes to the nearest dance floor is the stuff that only a bumbling politician could ever dream about. The driving beat, looping chorus and the increasingly heartfelt Wilson adds to the song’s addiction, all of which is bestowed by extreme rarity, resulting in ‘Do I love you (Indeed I do)’ becoming the greatest ever Northern Soul record.



'The Queen is Dead' - The Smiths
Well it wouldn't be a favourites list without tipping our hats to one of Manchester's most beloved four pieces, The Smiths. Choosing a favourite Smiths track is like choosing your favourite Beatle, It’s virtually impossible. However the opening track off their third album is a song that I regularly revisit.

Much like the 'Sex Pistols' 'God Save the Queen', 'The Queen is Dead' follows in a similar vein with Morrissey poking fun at the British monarchy and stuffy class system. Although with a much more poetic and witty twinkle in his Northern eye.

Acting as an attempt to address the nation, Marr's Wah - Wah wall of sound mirrors the role of an agile beast as it provides a rhythmic yet relentless tone. The melodic jangles of Honeymoon-Scott's guitar ('The Pretenders') are evident within Marr's playing as the song reaches it climatic finale, with Joyce's quick fire flashes of brilliance keeping it as raw and as angry as Morrissey's point of view due to him being 'hemmed in like a boar between arches'.
With the same stuffy monarchy sitting in the palace and another Conservative Government currently leasing Downing Street, it is obvious that even 26 years after its original release this song is still as fresh and as relevant as ever - So all you young 'uns get your chops around this one.


'My Backwards Walk' - Frightened Rabbit
Whilst conjuring up a feature on my favourite tracks, I realised it was imperative of me, to not only point my musical compass at our most loved artists, but to also suggest something that is recent, relevant and still as bloody brilliant.
Hence my final choice, 'My Backwards Walk' by Frightened Rabbit, which was released as part of their highly acclaimed 2008 album The Midnight Organ Fight. 'My Backwards Walk' is a beautiful piece of work that meanders like a twisting maze, with the lyrics and melody clinging and tying to every palpable heart string imagineable.
With Hutchinson's strong Caledonian accent drawing up obvious comparisons to 'The Twilight Sad', I feel that in terms of musicality, 'The National' and 'Arcade Fire' seem far more appropriate matches for the way they can superbly lay down the raw foundations of a track and subsequently bring it to the boil.
As the sparring session between the angular electric and soft acoustic guitars gets underway, it is supported with the eerie sirens of Kennedy's organ, which eventually creates a stomping mid-tempo classic that simultaneously feeds your heart, soul and feet.
His emotive lyrics about struggling to move on from a dying relationship are pain stakingly sincere "I'll get hammered, forget that you exist", which steadily burns into the blunt Glasgow kiss of "You're the shit and I’m knee deep in it". This is just lyrical and musical genius.

I hope this introductory post has presented you with some boundaries of what my musical influences are and what excities me about music. Although more importantly, I hope it has splashed a bit of colour into your dull day and given you a sharp burst of flavour, like a Tangfastic Haribo, to the ideas that will be suggested, debated and probably rejected in The Funky Moped music blog. 


Enjoy!

BF x



No comments:

Post a Comment